The 1st Annual NCAA Tournament “Boxes of Beer” pool was a terrific contest and our World Cup BoB edition was an even more rousing success. Now it’s time for our third installment and I expect this to be the biggest yet.
Here’s the deal if you missed out on the first two:
To enter into this suicide pool your “fee” is simply beer. You just need to offer up a nice local beer from wherever you live. Doesn’t have to be rare, doesn’t have to be expensive, doesn’t even have to be good (although, what kinda dickhead would offer up a shitty beer?) You live in Wisconsin, offer up a bottle or two of New Glarus. California, how about some AleSmith? Kansas and a Boulevard Smokestack would be divine.
This year’s NCAA pool saw winners receive such beers as Surly Darkness, The Lost Abbey Angel’s Share Grand Cru, Bell’s Hopslam, and other swell local niceties from terrific brewers such as Captain Lawrence, Russian River, and others I’m surely forgetting. The World Cup winner has already received boffo prizes from breweries such as Cigar City, Southampton, and Brooklyn.
Now I’m not saying you have to be as generous of course (though EVERYONE was quite generous for the previous two pools). I don’t want this be a burden or expensive, and I’m sure most if not all previous entrants will agree that it isn’t. A bottle or two of beer, plus shipping, will cost you max $10-15, around the same as any NCAA or other sports office pool.
If you don’t know how an NFL Suicide Pool works, here youse go:
- Each entrant chooses one NFL team each week.
- You may only pick a team ONCE per season. Once you’ve used that team, you can never use them again.
- Picks are made “straight up”, not using a point spread system.
- You get two misses before you are eliminated from contention.
- The goal is to be the the last member standing at the end of the season.
- Contestant with least wrong picks (thus, if two people make it to the end of the season but one person has ZERO misses and another had a miss, the person with zero would win.)
- Assuming the tied contestants all have the same number of misses, then it would go to who made it the furthest into the season with ZERO misses.
- If it’s still tied after that, we will go to a play-offs suicide pool, or the tied contestants can just choose to negotiate a draw.
If you’re entering this contest, please e-mail Mike to introduce yourself and say you want to be in the pool so he can start creating a spreadsheet. No one’s forcing you to enter, so please, if you do enter, don’t be a jerk and not live up to your end of the bargain if and when you most likely lose. I believe only one or two people didn’t pay up (yet) for the NCAA and World Cup pools. I’ll be really pissed if that happens again. (Goes without saying that you can’t enter this pool if you were one of the people that didn’t pay up for the other pools yet.) And I’ll be insanely jealous at the thought of the winner receiving box after box after box of beers all throughout the end of winter and start of spring.
*Of course, you must be 21 or older. My lawyers are making me say that.
**You also must have a US address to recieve your boxes should you win. I’m not making any one ship internationally.